Oil on canvas
Dimensions: 20x16 inch.
- "And suppose we, too, lost the war?"
- "Then Europe would go fascist", said Gomez lightly. "It's not a bad preparation for communism".
- "What will become of you, Gomez?"
- "I imagine their cops will knock me on the head in my lodging, or I shall go to America and scrape some sort of living there. What does it matter? I shall have lived".
Mathieu looked at Gomez with curiosity.
- "And you regret nothing?" he asked.
- "Nothing at all".
- "Not even painting?"
- "Not even painting".
Mathieu shook his head sadly. He liked Gomez's pictures.
- "You used to paint good pictures", he said.
- "I shall never paint again".
- "I don't know. It's physical. I've lost patience; I should find it boring."
"The reprieve", Knopf, NY, 1947.